Health Q&A

By Emily Bennett


If you have a health question, submit it to Emily at info@ladythrills.com.


Cannot lose the baby weight

Dear Emily,

I had my baby about 7 months ago, but have not been able to drop the last 15 pounds from my pregnancy. I have been walking, dieting and doing whatever I can, but cannot seem to drop the weight.

Please help me,
Vanessa

Baby weight can be difficult to lose, but it is not impossible, so long as you commit yourself to it.

First off, if you are breastfeeding, dieting is not the ideal way to go. Your body needs more calories to feed your baby and you. Eating less only sends your body into “starvation” mode, causing it to hang on to every calorie you do give it for fear of not getting more food.

Reducing calories is not the answer; perhaps eating smaller portions and more often will help you. You also need to do more rigorous exercise than just walking because the body adapts to exercise quickly.

Invest in a fitness stroller and go for jogs with your baby. Or sign up to a gym and head out for an hour a day to do some strength training .

Fill your diet with whole grains, fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and good fats, and exercise at least four days a week, and before you know it, the weight will melt off.

Emily

More sex for pregnancy?

Dear Emily,

My husband and I are trying to get pregnant and have been having a lot of fun doing it, but a friend of mine told me that too much sex could hinder our chances of conceiving. Is this true?

Carol

Your friend is wrong. While having frequent sex will lower his sperm count slightly, with every ejaculation, he releases millions of sperm, so there is no fear in having sex every day. After all, all you need is one of those sperm to get pregnant.

Emily

Pregnant with genital herpes

Hi Emily,

I have genital herpes and am pregnant. I haven’t told my OBGYN and was wondering if it can be harmful to my child in any way.

Afraid

Dear Afraid,

Although quite rare, if you gave birth via your birth canal whilst having an outbreak, the outcome may result in neurological damage, mental retardation or, in the worst-case scenario, the death of your baby.

Most women who have herpes can give birth without issue, especially if they’re not having an outbreak at the time of labor, but it is better to err on the side of caution and avoid taking any chances.

I strongly recommend that you tell your OBGYN about this and work together to find the best solution for you and your baby.

Good luck,
Emily

Anorexic teenager

I think my 14-year-old daughter is starving herself. She barely eats and when she does, it’s never more than a couple of carrots or something to that effect. How can I talk to her about it without her freaking out on me? She gets defensive easily.

Joanne


Hi Joanne,

If you suspect that your daughter is not eating, the last thing you want to do is accuse her of it. To start, ask her if she can make some time to talk with you, like an appointment. When you do get to talk, voice your concerns about her recent behavior. If she begins to get defensive, hear her out and don’t interrupt her or make any accusations. As well, do not offer up simple solutions to her problem.

Your best bet would be to set up an appointment with your family doctor and ask for his professional opinion and help in the matter.

Good luck Joanne,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment